Home & Community Care

Tel: 1800 200 422

You may be eligible for federal government funded aged care services if you’re an older person (usually 65+ or 50+ for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) finding it hard to do the things you used to do.

You will need to have a face-to-face assessment of your care needs to find out if you are eligible. Everyone who has an assessment through My Aged Care and is found to need services, is eligible to access services that:

  • ˃ may be partly or fully funded by the federal government, and,are regulated by the federal government.
  • ˃ You may be eligible to receive services such as help at home,personal care like help getting dressed,transport
  • ˃ modifications to your home, such as hand rails or ramps, nursing, physiotherapy and other care, meals and help with cooking,
  • ˃ household jobs like cleaning or gardening, equipment like walking frames, social activities.

Short-term help:

  • ˃ when you have had a setback and want to get your independence back,
  • ˃ recovery from an accident or illness, including
  • ˃ after a hospital stay,
  • ˃ when you or your carer needs a break (respite care),
  • ˃ care in an aged care facility.

If you find you need ongoing help with day-to-day tasks or health care, an aged care facility lets you live in a supported environment where help is available 24 hours a day.

If you’re not assessed as eligible, or are waiting for services, you can access privately funded services at any time.

Commonwealth Respite & Carelink Centres

Tel: 1800 052 222 – business hours.
Tel: 1800 059 059 – after hours emergency respite support.

The centres provide a link to carer support services and assist carers with options to take a break through short-term and emergency respite. Where appropriate, a CRCC can help with putting in place regular respite for a carer to reduce the need for unplanned and emergency respite. CRCCs also provide information about carer support services in their local area.

Carers Victoria

Level 1, 37 Albert Street Footscray 3011
Tel: 1800 242 636

Carers Victoria is a not-for-profit organisation which provides advice, information and support to unpaid, mostly family carers to improve their health, wellbeing, capacity and resilience.

Carers Victoria can also connect carers to a range of services, including:

  • ˃ support services,
  • ˃ counselling,
  • ˃ funding opportunities,
  • ˃ carer education and training, and,
  • ˃ respite services.

Home Renovation Loans

Web: loan-owners
Tel: 9096 9821 or free call 1800 134 872

Home renovation loans help eligible people pay for work done to their home for health and safety reasons. The loans can be used to top up savings or grants to pay for the work. For further information and eligibility criteria telephone Loan Assistance on 9096 9821 or visit the website listed above.


Seniors needing immediate health advice now have it at their fingertips with Victoria’s NURSE-ON CALL 24-hour hotline – 1300 606 024.

NURSE-ON-CALL is a phone service that provides immediate, expert health advice from a registered nurse, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you think your situation is an emergency, you should always call 000 or go to an emergency department at a hospital.

NURSE-ON-CALL puts you directly in touch with a registered nurse for caring, professional health advice around the clock.

You may need NURSE-ON-CALL when:

  • you or someone you’re caring for is feeling unwell,
  • you are not sure if you should seek medical help,
  • you’re away from home or situated a long way from medical help,
  • you simply want advice or information about health services in your area.

NURSE-ON-CALL gives all Victorians the peace of mind of knowing that professional health advice is only a phone call away, any time of the day or night.