Local government (also known as local council) handles community needs like waste collection, public recreation facilities and town planning.
Council services include:
- environment services such as greenhouse gas mitigation, waste management,
- health services such as disability support and food regulations,
- emergency management services such as disaster response and recovery,
- transport and infrastructure services such as roads, footpaths, traffic management, telecommunications and leisure facilities,
- planning and building services such as land use regulation, economic development and environmental conservation,
- social and community services such as early childhood services, libraries and employment.
Your local council:
City of Boroondara
8 Inglesby Road, Camberwell Victoria 3124
Tel: 9278 4444
Service Centres: Hawthorn Arts Centre, 360 Burwood Road, Hawthorn.
Victorian Seniors Festival
The festival is an annual celebration for older Victorians. Free and low-cost events and activities will be presented across Victoria, including concerts, dances, theatre shows, celebratory morning teas, tours, a host of indoor and outdoor recreation activities and much more.
Web: www.seniorsonline.vic.gov.au/festivals andawards.
University of the Third Age Hawthorn
A place for people who have retired or are not in full time work. Extend your learning on a wide range of subjects, or develop new skills in an informal environment.
26 Sinclair Avenue, Glen Iris VIC 3146 Tel: 9821 0282
Bowen Street Community Centre
102 Bowen Street, Camberwell
Phone: 9889 0791
Camberwell Community Centre
Level 1, 519-525 Riversdale Road, Camberwell
Phone: 9882 2611
Hawthorn Community House
32 Henry Street, Hawthorn
Phone: 9819 2629
Canterbury Neighbourhood Centre
1st Floor, 2 Rochester Road, Canterbury
Phone: 9830 4214
Victoria is renowned for its multiculturalism. Organisations provide information and support services to the local community.
A list of local multicultural organisations and services is available from your local council.
City of Boroondara – Tel: 9278 4444
Translating and Interpreting Service
Tel: 131 450
The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) is an interpreting service provided by the Department of Home Affairs for people who do not speak English and for agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients.
The service is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year for the cost of a local call.
Victorian Interpreting & Translation Service
Level 16, 607 Bourke Street, Melbourne 3000
Tel (General Enquiries): 9280 1941
Provides on-site interpreting, phone interpreting and a translation service for over 160 languages.