Free Weekend Travel
If you’re a Victorian senior, you may be eligible for a free myki and 50 per cent discount on travel.
- The Victorian Seniors Card gives you:
- 50 per cent discount on a full fare,
- free travel on Saturdays and Sundays in two consecutive zones,
- two or four annual Victorian off-peak travel vouchers,
- concession fares on V/Line trains and coaches.
Seniors Day Pass:
As a senior, you can buy a day pass for some journeys, instead of using your myki.
The Seniors Day Pass is a paper ticket that gives you one days unlimited travel in Zone 1+2 and on bus routes 782/783 and 787/887.
When travelling with a Day Pass, you must show it to:
- the bus driver when boarding,
- train station staff to gain entry or exit from a gated station,
- an Authorised Officer when requested.
When travelling with a Day Pass you don’t need to touch on your myki. You can only use a Day Pass for the date on the ticket.
For further information please visit www.ptv.vic. gov.au or call 1800 800 007.
Owning & Driving a Car
Disabled Parking Permits
Applications are available from your local council.
City of Boroondara – Tel: 9278 4444
Tel: 131 171
It is important that older drivers are aware of and accept the physical changes that come with ageing, and adapt their driving to accommodate these changes.
Factsheets with information about how ageing can affect your driving are available at the VicRoads website: www.vicroads.vic.gov.au.
Concessional vehicle registration is available to Pension Concession Card, Repatriation Gold Card and Health Care Card holders.
Short Term Registration: Owners of cars, utes, vans, motorcycles and other light vehicles are able to make the switch to shorter term registration, or continue with an annual registration fee.
The options will allow you to pay less upfront and spread the cost of registration renewal across the year to better suit your budget. How to apply – set up a myVicRoads account online and select your chosen registration period from three or six months.
Alternatively phone my office on 9882 4088 for assistance.
Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV)
Years Ahead is an RACV road safety awareness program especially designed for older road users. The program involves a one hour discussion based presentation and is available free of charge to organised groups of older people throughout most of Victoria.
The presentation covers the following areas:
- driving and road safety tips for drivers,
- passengers and pedestrians,
- the importance of choosing a safe vehicle,
- the importance of being fit to drive,
- the impact of health and medications on driving,
- how to assess your own driving ability,
- information about alternative transport options,
- how to plan for future mobility.
To book a Years Ahead presentation telephone 9790 2915 or visit: www.racv.com.au